Friday, March 1, 2013

Tasting Number Six

Name: Dibon Cava Brut Reserve 
Variety: 45% Macabeo, 25% Xarel-lo, 30% Parellada
Region:Penedes
Country: Spain
Year: NV
Price: $9.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Light gold with plenty of bubbles, this wine has aromas of apples and pears with pleasant floral notes. Crisp and light-bodied on the palate, stone fruit flavors are accompanied by a mild minerality and balanced acidity. A delicious sparkler for a great price!
My Review: When I saw the word "brut" in the name of the wine, I knew to expect something dry. I got exactly what I expected with a taste of tart apple and a quick finish. I enjoyed the slight bubble sensation.
I tasted this on its own with no food.


Name: Villa d' Orvieto
Variety: Blend of Grechetto, Procanico (Trebbiano), and Malvasia
Region:Umbria
Country: Italy
Year: 2011
Price: $6.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Fresh and crisp, it has a beautiful, floral bouquet. It is wonderful with appetizers, fish, chicken, and salads.
My Review: This was a very smooth wine with a slight taste of flowers and fruit. I could not recognize what fruit it tasted like but I know I've tasted it before. Although the wine was fruity, it was not too sweet. I think this wine would make a good aperitif.
I tasted this on its own with no food. 


Name: Maipe Chardonnay
Variety: 85% Chardonnay, 15% Viognier
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2012
Price: $7.95
Vintage Cellar Review: 30% malolactic
fermentation, 30% was aged in French oak barrels. Brilliant yellow golden color with green hints. The wine is crisp and filled with white peach, pear, green apples flavors, toasty vanilla. Elegant and luscious wine, well balanced. Crisp and long finish. Pairs well with creamy soups, pork, veal, vegetables.
My Review: Although this alcohol had high alcohol content, it didn't taste like it. This was a fruity, semi-sweet wine with no tannins. It was very smooth. 
I tasted this on its own with no food.

Name: Cortenova Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
Variety: 100% Montepulcian
Region: Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
Country: Italy
Year: 2010
Price: $6.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Deep ruby red color with violet highlights and a pleasant and fruity bouquet. Full bodied, soft tannins and good acidity. Excellent with pasta dishes and red meats.
My Review: This wine was also very smooth. It had a fruity bouquet and I got a hint of cherry. There were medium tannins that left my mouth a bit dry. I agree with VC that this wine was full bodied.
I tasted this on its own with no food.



Name: Monte Aman
Variety: 100% Tempranillo
Region: Arlanza
Country: Spain
Year:2009
Price: $5.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Fermentation of selected grapes in stainless steel tanks at controlled temperature. Aging in American oak casks for 5 months followed by 3 months in the bottle before being released in the market. Inky ruby. Ripe cherry and plum on the nose. Smooth and fleshy, with deep dark fruit flavors complicated by bitter chocolate and anise. A spicy quality adds lift and focus to the weighty fruit. Offers an appealing mix of power and energy and drinks very well right now.
My Review: I got cherry on the nose of this wine. It had soft tannins and a long finish. The wine was a bit bitter and tasted of spices with a hint of licorice. I enjoyed this wine!
I tasted this on its own with no food.

No comments:

Post a Comment