Saturday, March 30, 2013

Tasting Number Eight


NameD'Arenberg The Stump Jump
Variety: Riesling/Marsanne
Region: Southern Australia 
Country: Australia
Year: 2011
Price: $13.95
Vintage Cellar Review: An intoxicating mix of ripe, yellow peaches, guava, and hints of honey blossoms on the nose. The tropical stone fruits are also evident on the palate but give up little territory to some lovely, zesty lemon, lime citrus characters which really add to the freshness of this wine.
My Review: This wine had a fruity nose in which my friends and I picked up apple. The taste of the wine was very light and not much was there. It was tart and smooth. This is a good wine to drink with fish during the summer.
I tasted this on its own with no food. 

Name: Salneval
Variety: Albarino
Region: Val do Salnes
Country: Spain
Year: 2011
Price: $13.95
Vintage Cellar Review: This smooth white offers pear, dried peach and tangerine flavors, with smoky and light earth notes. Features tart acidity. 
My Review: This wine was also very light in both color and smell. The nose was sweet and flowery. It smelt a bit of honey. The taste was light though and the wine had little body. It was a bit acidic but otherwise smooth. 
I tasted this on its own with no food.

Name: Foris
Variety: Gewurztraminer
Region: Rougue Valley, Oregon
Country: USA
Year: 2010
Price: $14.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Nose of rose petal and lychee that Gewurztraminer is known for as well as stone fruits and lemongrass. The palate shows good concentration but stays fresh and lively due to its crisp acidity. We have always finished our Gewurztraminer drier than many of the more commercial bottlings in the market. 
My Review: This wine was a pleasant surprise. It was crisp on the tongue but was acidic and balanced. I tasted pear and something that may have been strawberry. I had been wanting to try a Gewurztraminer for a while now and I enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. 
I tasted this on its own with no food.

Name: Dom la Ricoune
Variety: Grenache and Syrah
Region: Cotes de Rhone
Country: France
Year: 2011
Price: $15.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Inky. Intense and complex nose, fruity and spicy. Aromas of berries, garrigue, licorice, cinnamon, cloves. The palate is intense and fresh. Red fruits. Seductive and lingering finish. 
My Review: This wine had very good color. It tasted of licorice and red cherry. It had incorporation of spices and was we found it to be a bit sour. It was an acidic wine with good body and a lengthy finish. I wish I could have tasted some cinnamon!
I tasted this on its own with no food.

Name: Bogle
Variety: Petite Syrah
Region: Sacremento Valley
Country: USA
Year: 2010
Price: $12.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Deeply inky, this wine coats the glass and lingers before the first sip has been taken. Heady aromas of boysenberries and blackberries headline the entry, while flavors of wild blueberries steal the show. Full-bodied and concentrated, seductive juniper and anise tangle with coffee and leather tones as the wine's finish lingers on stage. Enduring and enthralling, this wine is perfectly suited for and encore. 
My Review:  I've never tried a fuller bodied wine than this one. It was very dark purple in color. The nose smelt of wood and spices. It tasted of dark cherry or other dark red or black fruits. It was very heavy on the tongue and lingered for a good while.
I tasted this on its own with no food.

No comments:

Post a Comment