Saturday, March 23, 2013

Tasting Number Seven


NameCortenova Pinot Grigio
Variety: Pinot Grigio
Region:
Country: Italy
Year: 2012
Price: $7.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Brilliant straw color with emerald reflections. Fresh and floral bouquet with a hint of pears, apricots and bananas. Fresh and inviting with bright fruit and an easy drinking style with a pleasing hint of almonds in the aftertaste. Pairs well with seafood dishes, risottos with scampi, spaghetti with clams, sole in white wine Perfect also as an aperitif.
My Review: This wine was very clear in color. It smelt of pear and although it was a bit acidic (or high alcohol, not sure which), it was still smooth. I could definitely see this pairing well with seafood.
I tasted this on its own with no food.


NameMaipe Malbec Rose
Variety: Malbec Rose
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2011
Price: $7.95
Vintage Cellar ReviewIntense pink color with violet hints. Fresh red fruit bouquet, strawberry and cherry flavors, balanced acidity, dry and lingering finish. Excellent with tuna or green salad, pasta, spicy Asian dishes.
My Review: This wine was also very smooth. It was a bit dry and tasted like strawberry to me. It had a long finish that left a fruity taste in your mouth. 
I tasted this on its own with no food. 


Name: Tinto Figaro 
Variety: 100% Granacha
Region: Calatayud
Country: Spain
Year: 2009
Price: $6.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Figaro is 100% Garnacha, made from a selection of the best grapes grown in the oldest vineyards. While not truly an "oaked wine", a short stay in oak barrels provides a nice spicy flavor boost. Bright violet. Dark berry and cherry aromas show a jammy aspect. Supple and gently sweet, with good lift to its black raspberry and boysenberry flavors. Smooth and broad on the finish, leaving behind a hint of spiciness. Extremely easy to drink and an excellent value.
My Review: This wine smelt of spices and tasted of raspberry. I'm not sure I'd ever tried a wine that was 100% Garnacha before. It was low in tannins and easy to drink. 
I tasted this on its own with no food.

Name: Domaine de Grange de Payan
Variety: Grenache
Region: Cotes de Rhone
Country: France
Year: 2011
Price: $8.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Intensely spicy and precise, with lively red berry flavors and a hint of black pepper. The Grenache, which makes up the majority of the wine, is deeper and more powerful, offering cherry and black raspberry qualities lifted by zesty minerality.
My Review: This wine also smelt of spices. It was more tanning that the Tinto Figaro. It tasted of a dark red fruit such as cherry or maybe raspberry. This wine was easy to drink- very good wine. 
I tasted this on its own with no food.



Name: Potluck Sweet Malbec
Variety: Malbec
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2010
Price: $7.95
Vintage Cellar ReviewDeep red brilliant with violet hints. Complex, fruity, and predominant red fruits. Easy to drink, round with persistent sweetness, very well balanced with sweet tannins.
My Review: This wine smelt of fruit on the nose. I was expecting it to taste fruitier and sweeter than it did. It still has the taste of alcohol. While I enjoy a sweet and fruity white wine, I'm not I enjoyed this sweet red. 
I tasted this on its own with no food.

No comments:

Post a Comment