Sunday, February 10, 2013

Tasting Numero Tres

My first Thursday tasting! The wines were fewer and cheaper but free wine is free wine.



Name: Beringer
Variety: Riesling
Region: Napa
Country: USA
Year: 2009
Price: $9.95
Vintage Cellar Review: This wine is the perfect balance of honeysuckle and bright peach flavors. A perfect compliment to light fare, appetizers, or just sharing with friends. 
My Review: This Riesling was on the drier side which I enjoyed. It tasted a bit fruity, with peach being the most distinguishable flavor. 
I tasted this on its own with no food.




Name: Wine Men of Gotham
Variety: Chardonnay / Semillon
Region: Southern Australia
Country: Australia
Year: 2008
Price: $5.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Gotham's 2008 Wine Men of Gotham Chardonnay Semillon is a blend of 80% Chardonnay and 20% Semillon. It gives a moderate intensity of melon, guava, apricot, and butterscotch aromas. The medium bodied palate provides attractive acidity along with plenty of tropical fruit flavors and a medium-long finish. 
My Review:This was a more aromatic wine. There was a distinct smell of a fruit I could not recognize. I would definitely be willing to try it again to figure out what it was! This wine had a tropical taste.
I tasted this on its own with no food. 



Name: Sokol Blosser Meditrina
Variety: Pinot Noir, Syrah, and Zinfandel
Region: Oregon
Country: USA
Year: NV
Price: $7.95
Vintage Cellar Review: It's created from the finest Pinot Noir, Syrah, and Zinfandel. The taste is lush and velvety with expressive notes of raspberry and cherry. It pairs nicely with pasta or anything off the grill. 
My Review: This was a very smooth and balanced wine that tasted like cherry. Very nice finish. I'd definitely put this on my "to buy" list.
I tasted this on its own with no food.


Name: Black Opal 
Variety: Shiraz
Region: South Eastern Australia
Country: Australia
Year: 2011
Price: $5.95
Vintage Cellar Review: The Black Opal wines are sourced from vineyards found in South Australia along the Limestone Coast, at Langhorne Creek and in the infamous Barossa Valley. Black Opal Shiraz is rich red in the glass. Aromas of blackberry, pepper, and spice followed with rich plum flavors round out the palate. Soft tannins give structure to the fruit-driven palate. 
My Review: The smell of this wine hit me quickly with pepper and spices. It tasted of plum had a long finish.
I tasted this on its own with no food.



Name: Opera Prima
Variety: Pink Moscato 
Region: Castilla la Mancha
Country: Spain
Year: NV
Price: $5.95
Vintage Cellar Review: This fine sparkling presents an intense aroma of fresh berries and tropical fruits with hints of white flavor petals. Delicate bubbles caress the palate offering a silky and the pleasant sweetness well balanced by a crisp, refreshing finish. Ideal on it's own, as an aperitif or with all types of sweets and desserts. 
My Review: This wine smelt and tasted strongly of flowers but there was also a fruit I could not recognize. I enjoyed the bubbles on the tongue. It was not overwhelmingly sweet.
I tasted this on its own with no food.



No comments:

Post a Comment