Sunday, February 17, 2013

Fourth Time's A Charm - Tasting

Hannah and I went for a quick wine taste between classes on Thursday! Here's what we tried.

Name: Dibon Cava
Variety: Xarel-lo, Parellada and Macabeo
Region: Penedes
Country: Spain
Year: NV
Price: $9.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Xarel-lo, Parellada and Macabeo. The nose offers regal yeast and richness, while the palate has complexity to prop up apple, citrus and grapefruit flavors. Solid from front to back, with health and freshness.
My Review: This wine tasted of crisp apple and citrus. I found it complex in flavor and a bit bubbly on the tongue. There was also a warm sensation towards the finish. 
I tasted this on its own with no food.






Name: Norton Torrontes
Variety: Torrontes
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2011
Price: $5.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Greenish yellow with hints of gold, this Torrontes has intense aromas of white peach, rose petal, and jasmine. Norton Torrontes 2011 is pleasant and well balanced on the palate.
My Review: I tasted hints of peach in this wine. It was fruity and very well balanced. It had a very smooth finish. One of my favorite wines of the day!
I tasted this on its own with no food. 





Name: Dom de Mirail
Variety: Cabernet/Merlot Rose
Region: Cotes de Gascogne
Country: France
Year: 2011
Price: $5.95
Vintage Cellar Review: There is a fresh, crisp character to this light rosé. It is eye-watering
in its refreshing character, with balancing acidity, smoothing out the edges with a touch of caramel.
My Review: Strangely enough, I tried this wine a couple weeks ago and like it so much that I bought it. This week, it was difficult to distinguish the flavors and it just tasted like a dry wine without many distinct flavors. I think this says a lot about the setting you try the wine in. 
I tasted this on its own with no food.


Name: Lavarini Valpolicella Classico
Variety: 65% Corvina Veronese, 25% Rondinella, 10% Molinara
Region: Veneto
Country: Italy
Year: 2010
Price: $6.95
Vintage Cellar Review: The red ruby color and the dry taste give this wine joviality and cordiality. It is fresh and fruity, with lovely strawberry and cherry aromas and flavors, with nice spice and a silky texture.
My Review: The nose of this wine was smoky and I got a strong scent of spices. The wine tasted of cherry. Although it was a bit dry, I enjoyed it!
I tasted this on its own with no food.



Name: Gabriella Chianti
Variety: Sangiovese
Region: Chianti
Country: Italy
Year: 2008
Price: $7.95
Vintage Cellar Review: This beautiful wine has the very deep red, almost purple, color that
you would expect in a Chianti. The first thing you notice is the fruit, balanced by a bit of spice. It’s a good dry wine with a bold flavor. Even with it’s boldness, this Chianti is velvety smooth.
My Review: The thing that stuck with me most about this wine was how smooth it was. It was dry and I didn't sense any residual sugar, but still it was not harsh and had great body. 
I tasted this on its own with no food.

No comments:

Post a Comment