Sunday, February 3, 2013

Number Two - Wine Tasting


After a delicious breakfast at Gillie's, the crew returned to the Vintage Cellar yesterday for another tasting.  


Name: Dom de la Quila
Variety: Muscadet
Region: Pays de la Loire
Country: France
Year: 2011
Price: $9.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Oyster Wine! The real key to the wines from Domaine de la Quila is that the Vinet's keep the wines sur lie for eight months before bottling at the end of May, unlike most in this appellation who bottle in March. The vinet family work proudly to produce this impeccably dry and fragrant wine.
My Review: This wine was my favorite of the day. It was very crisp and I could taste apple. I can certainly see how it would be good with oysters or as an aperitif. 

I tasted this on its own with no food.



Name: Don Manuel
Variety: Torrontes
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2011
Price: $13.95
Vintage Cellar Review90 point, Wine Enthusiast. A really good and clean white wine with all the topicality and zest that this Argentine variety can give. The nose is crystalline and pure, with white flower scents of jasmine and citrus blossom, while the palate is round, melony, and full of lychee and papaya. Smooth on the finish. Drink soon. 
My Review: I was able to taste a little bit of the citrus, but I also thought that this wine was very acidic. It kind of left that burning sensation in the back of the throat-- very sharp. 

I tasted this on its own with no food. 



Name: Wild Hog
Variety: Barbera
Region: Mendocino
Country: USA
Year: 2007
Price: $22.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Notes of ripe dark fruit on the nose, with a hint of earth. The palate is greeted with a combination of dark fruits including blackberry, dark plum, olallie berries and sour cherry. Bright acidity and ripe fruit, hints to what this wine will become with some age. Great now with a little breathing. 
My Review: The first thing my friend and I noticed was that it smelt earthy. We got the same tasted when we tasted the wine. Though it was also a bit acidic, we enjoyed the wine. 

I tasted this on its own with no food.


Name: Perata Vineyards
Variety: Cab/Sauvignon
Region: Napa Valley
Country: USA
Year: 2007
Price: $20.95
Vintage Cellar Review: 93 points, Wine Exchange Team. A gorgeous bottling that represents a tremendous value in the heart of Napa. The would-be grapes for the Estate's top bottling are used here to produce a decadent wine with rich classic Cabernet flavors intermixed with wild spices, tobacco, and fresh herb on a caressing finish.
My Review: I didn't get much out of this wine the first sip I tried, but after letting it breath a bit more and trying it again, I was able to sense the wild spices that the review mentioned! Starting to appreciate red wines more and more. 

I tasted this on its own with no food.



Name: Emeri
Variety: Pink Moscato 
RegionHunter Valley
Country: Australia 
Year: 2011
Price: $12.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Pale translucent pink. Fresh fruit aromas with strawberry and musk. Velvety and ful with a persistent bead and fresh finish. The perfect aperitif on it's own of enjoy with fresh fruits of seafood.
My Review: This wine was very fruity and even a bit bubbly. I could easily taste the strawberry. Although I do not typically drink moscato, this one was not overwhelmingly sweet and I enjoyed it very much. 

I tasted this on its own with no food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment