Friday, April 12, 2013

Tasting Number 10



Name: Ferrari - Carano Siena
Variety: 74% Sangiovese, 26% Malbec
Region: Sonoma County
Country: USA
Year: 2010
Price: $24.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Delicious aromas and flavors of fresh-picked blackberries, raspberry jam, cola, cinnamon and clove. Sweet oak notes of vanilla and butterscotch complement lingering tart cherry, cranberry, and strawberry. A wine with nice acidity and refined, elegant texture, Siena has tannins and are showy and evenly coat the palate.
My Review: This wine was a light wine in color, but it had a lot of flavor. The nose was woody and had some spices. These flavors came through in the tastes as well; I really enjoyed the oakiness of the wine. It was high in tannins and had a long but smooth finish.
I tasted this on its own with no food. 

NameYalumba Museum Muscat
Variety: Muscat
Region: South Eastern Australia
Country: Australia
Year: NV
Price: $22.95
Vintage Cellar ReviewThe non-vintage Museum Reserve Muscat boasts a medium deep amber hue as well as stunning aromas and huge flavors oozing with glycerin, sweetness, honeyed figs, jammy berries, and notions of tea, molasses, and prunes. This wine does not improve in the bottle, but it will last many years.
My Review: This was the first muscat I ever tried. The color was amber/red/yellowish and it smelt strongly of spiced brandy. I'm not surprised that this wine is 18% alcohol. I was presently surprised with the taste after being a bit put off by the smell. It tasted warm an of caramel, molasses, and vanilla. It reminded me of syrup although it was not as heavy. 
I tasted this on its own with no food.

Name: Brancott Estate
Variety: Sauvignon Blanc
Region: Marlborough
Country: New Zealand
Year: 2011
Price: $9.99
Vintage Cellar Review: Pours a pale green color. Gooseberry  passion fruit, lemongrass nose. Granny smith apples, grapefruit, lime palate with mineral undertones and a hint of grassiness  Acidity is there- good with spicy food.
My Review: I really used to like sauvignon blanc, but I have trouble finding traits that make them taste differently. This wine was crisp, dry, and tart. I got the apple flavor, and tasted some of the grassiness the review mentioned.
I tasted this on its own with no food.

Name: Bartenura
Variety: Moscato
Region: Provincia de Pavia
Country: Italy
Year: 2010
Price: $9.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Tantalizing aromas of pear and nectarine tempt you to take a sip and experience the floral and melon flavors, supporting by a light fizz and wisps of sweetness.
My Review: I'm always hesitant to drink moscato because I prefer dry wine, but they always surprise me. This wine was not overly sweet. It had light bubbles and tasted very fruity. I definitely tasted the melon flavors. 
I tasted this on its own with no food.

Name: Georges Duboeuf
Variety: Beaujolais Nouveau (Gamay)
Region: Beaujolais
Country: France
Year: 2012
Price: $5.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Surprisingly structured for a nouveau, this has a rich cherry flavor, with firm tannins and ripe acidity. The finish bears a tangy, textured character. Deutsch character.
My Review:  This wine was surprisingly light for a red wine. it was very berry-y and I did not find it too tannic at all. Mine was not chilled but I remember reading that beaujolais nouveau can be chilled so I'd like to try it and taste the difference. 
I tasted this on its own with no food.

No comments:

Post a Comment